Navisworks allows stakeholders to visualize project data in 3D coordinated BIM models at a granular level. It detects and resolves space, sequence and other functional clashes at pre-construction stage, ensuring informed project control and error-free construction.
The most difficult part of project designing lies in the proper positioning of elements and entities. Clashes emerge when designs of two or more entities show elements colliding in space or time sequence. If the clashes are not resolved at the design phase, they lead to rework, wastage, inevitable delays and budget overruns during the construction stage.
Navisworks, an Autodesk software, offers a solution by accurately spotting clashes between models at the project design stage. It generates clash detection reports for contractors and architects by reading the geometric and time data of the models submitted by separate stakeholders.
With 3D clash free BIM models, Navisworks helps contractors and architects reduce possibilities of multi-level design changes, thereby avoiding budget overshoots and construction delays. It works seamlessly with other BIM software like Revit and is fully compatible with IFC models.
Understanding Clash Detection
Clash detection in a BIM workflow involves identifying clashes and collisions between separate models or their elements to resolve such issues at pre-construction stage. Usual clashes include space overlap of models or their parts, models in same project having parameters incompatible with one another, or an anomalous time sequence in 4D BIM modeling.
3 Types of Clashes
For instance, two objects occupying the same space such as a pipe passing through a structural beam or through a structural column.
For instance, lack of adequate buffer space between HVAC ducts and ceiling or headspace for fire safety line.
For instance, improper sequence of activities such as concealing pipework in the flooring after the cement concrete is poured.
Navisworks clash detection and clash resolution ensures maximum compatibility between various architectural, structural, MEP models in a project.
Top 5 benefits of Navisworks in clash detection
Navisworks is focused on review of designs, clash detection of models and elements, sharing and coordination, advanced simulation and validation, and realistic visualization and animations. It makes the designing phase of a project faster, when multiple stakeholders are using disparate designing software for their individual works.
1. Enhanced coordination to easily identify clashes
- Navisworks enables creation of ‘federated models’ where individual models are placed in their specific coordinates in a common environment for better project coordination and visualization. This coordination helps identify clashes in the 3D model while supporting more than 60 file formats and integrating with software like AutoCAD, Revit and ReCap.
- Allows ease of sharing files and data that include clash reports by breaking down bigger files into smaller and simplified versions without losing fidelity.
A clash free federated BIM model developed by TrueCADD for a mix-use building in Manchester, UK, improved design intent communication across stakeholders, significantly reducing costs and potential reworks.
The model used for construction sequencing seamlessly built on Revit and Navisworks capabilities.
Detect clashes early to reduce costly delays and control rising budgets.
2. 3D visualization to resolve clashes
- 3D visualization enables stakeholders to make material changes and update information to avoid interdisciplinary clashes and view effects in real time.
- Clashes can be easily detected by viewing project sections during visualization and analyzed at higher speeds as compared to other heavier design software.
- Navisworks provides improved rendering feature for photorealistic visualization for 3D project walkthroughs to easily identify clashes.
- Navisworks Freedom allows walkthroughs with spin, flip and rotation of models while interacting with members of design team inside the 3D environment.
A clash free Revit model with 4D simulation using Navisworks Manage, was developed by TrueCADD for a student dorm room in the Middle East.
The 3D visualization offered by the BIM model provided greater project clarity at the initial stages of design. This lead to reduced reworks due to minimal clashes and the client was able to save on construction cost and time.
Get over design failures with proactive clash detection through Navisworks.
3. Accurate collision detection
- Navisworks allows users to check and filter through design elements extremely fast and to set up and run collision tests between models and various elements.
- Filters and searches are saved and can be used throughout a project thus saving time and increasing uniformity in inspection and review of clashes.
4. Reduced errors using clash-detective tool
- The Clash Detective tool is used to detect errors by conducting clash tests between 3D geometry and laser-scanned point clouds as per required tolerance.
- Once clashes are detected, each team can resolve clashes in their base software such as Tekla Structures or Revit.
- Clash Detective functionality can also be combined with other Navisworks tools like Navisworks Manage, Navisworks Simulate etc.
A clash free 3D Revit model was developed by TrueCADD for a university building in the US.
The 3D BIM model improved design quality and saved construction time by 20% with simulated construction schedules using Navisworks.
The client completed the project within scheduled time and also saved on cost.
Take complete control of your design validation during preconstruction.
5. Detecting time-based clashes in 4D design projects
- In Navisworks, the Clash Detective tool can be seamlessly linked with the TimeLiner for clash testing of moving objects.
- Navisworks can identify the point of time when two elements or models will come to occupy the same space during work and spot clashes in time sequence.
- Time-based clash detection in Navisworks can be set up for automated checking throughout a project’s lifetime – allowing review, rescheduling and resolution of time-based clashes in the project files.
A clash free 3D MEP Revit model with LOD 400 along with clash detection reports in Navisworks for an International Airport in the Middle East, helped the client save $7 million in 6 months.
The team of experts at TrueCADD assessed the IFC drawings at DD level to identify and resolve clashes with accurate material and resource planning.
The BIM/VDC tools as well as the collaborative project delivery approach led to early project completion and 100% of MEP system installation with zero change orders with minimal conflicts.
Bring your clash-detection challenges to us for accurate coordination and clash resolution.
4 Features of Navisworks for Clash Detection
The principal features of Autodesk’s Navisworks that helps it to control projects include:
1. Aggregation of data and model files
This feature of Navisworks allows users to combine data of design, construction, and other project data into a unified project model.
Navisworks scans and intelligently extracts relevant data from separate and original design files imported from various design software. It displays the data coherently as also visually, within a unified model.
2. NWD and 3D DWF publishing
An NWD file can include all loaded models, markups and comments, viewpoints, scene environment and everything required to provide a project ‘snapshot’ within a single file.
NWD files can be opened in any Navisworks edition. NWD files are much smaller than the original CAD files and can be opened with greater ease to have a bird’s eye view of an entire project.
3. Automated caching
One of the best features of Navisworks is that it creates a corresponding Navisworks cache file as soon as a CAD file is opened in it. When the same CAD file is opened again in Navisworks, the software first checks for modification in the file if any, and updates the cache.
If there is no modification, it loads the cache file making visualization faster. Navisworks uses NWF files when simultaneously referencing multiple CAD files, and the Navisworks cache helps to cut down on the load times of these CAD files.
4. Photorealistic visualization
Advanced simulation and rendering tools in Autodesk Navisworks allows extremely photorealistic visualization that virtually creates accurate representations of the design in 3D space.
With smaller files and better rendering features, Navisworks allows easy creation of virtual walkthroughs of a project. It includes each part of the representation being tied with data that can be retrieved and inspected instantly.
By enabling all stakeholders to visualize, understand, and remove clashes at pre-construction stage, BIM clash detection has changed the world of construction designing. Navisworks has come to dominate the market as the tool of choice to reveal clashes.
With its outstanding features like detection of time-based clashes, photorealistic visualization, easy file sharing, automated referencing of multiple CAD files, Navisworks has become indispensable in BIM design workflows.
Navisworks is increasingly being used by all stakeholders in construction projects including civil engineers, architects, and structural engineers, mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers. Even non-engineers who need to visualize the project, are adopting Navisworks.